June 27, 2013

Chaos To Couture At The Met!

              I've mentioned before that I was taking a course at FIT, and today we got the opportunity to go the Metropolitan Museum of Art. My class and I went to the  Punk: Chaos to Couture exhibit.  I have never even been to this art museum before so... just walking in, I loved every moment of it. Except for the part where I was interrogated for my bagel. Just remember not to bring food in a paper bag.            

                                                      Photo:style.com
                                                     Photo:zimbio.com
                                               Photo:metmuseum.org
         
            I loved that I definitely learned some new things about designers I already know and loved. I had absolutely no clue that Versace and Chanel were designing clothes for the era of punk. Some of the clothes were also very recently made. The whole exhibit itself had a very grunge feeling to it. There were large screens with rock videos and people singing, which contributed a lot to the feeling of being in the punk era. And a lot of the things were actually really cute, like spiked heels and I'm pretty sure I saw a pair of Doc Martens. Walking around took a total of about 45 minutes to fully take in all that was on display.

            My favorite part was Comme Des Garcons. I loved his designs the most! And my second favorites were all by Vivienne Westwood.  I definitely had no idea that she designed punk clothing. Everything in the exhibit, even the walls were made sure to look like we were actually within the era. The walls were all etched in with writing on it like, "Punk is a rebellion against society who thinks they don't need a revolution". Or something along the lines of that, as well as various other drawing and names.

          By the end of the exhibit I had to wait for the rest of my group, so I browsed around the museum and started looking at some Vincent Van Gogh paintings.  It was a really great experience and I actually really want to go back! If you're in the New York City area, I highly recomennd going to the museum itself.


No comments:

Post a Comment